top of page
full size.png

4207

Walker Colliery

Walker

54.975084,-1.545086

Anne Pit

Opened:

Closed:

18th c

1920

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

13 Jul 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Lambert & Co. (1850s), Walker Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Walker Colliery Anne Pit. Walker Colliery opened before 1765. Owners were Lambert & Co (1850s), N.G. Lambert & Co and then Walker Coal Company Ltd. By 1862 (the year of a major disaster at Walker Colliery see HER 4206) the Anne shaft had been closed for several years and had only been opened up about a year before when it had been deepened to reach the Low Main Seam. Closed in 1920.

Photograph of Annie Pit. Courtesy of the Alan Yeats Collection.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page