top of page
full size.png

4096

North Elswick Colliery

Fenham

54.974071, -1.626346

Opened:

Closed:

1800s

1942

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

13 Jul 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Elswick Colliery Co. (1860s), Elswick Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - North Elswick Colliery was situated nr Pitt Street, Elswick from circa 1800s.

There are contemporary advertisements from 1827 which indicates the existence of two pits put down the Bensham Seam and the Low Seam. This was as part of an auction at Pilgrim Street, which was selling the land in which coal, fireclay and iron stone was situated.

The colliery was still in operation into the 1890s, enveloped by surrounding sprawl. There was a main access shaft and an air shaft surrounded by a walled enclosure. The winding rope and wheel was a known landmark in the area.

Operations continued through to the 1940s. In that year there was a large explosion, killing two people on the scene and two in hospital.

It closed around the 1940s, though the workings were still extant after closure. The site became part of the Newcastle Breweries complex, and later Science Central where some remains were found in the 2010s.

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

A blurry shot of the pit from above in 1939. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW060869 flown 28/04/1939

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page