3 Sept 2021
6 Sept 2021
W. Cochrane Carr (1880s), Elswick Coal Co. (1930s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Benwell Colliery, West Pit (Coal). This is just shown as an Old Shaft on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey. Benwell Colliery opened in 1766. There were three other pits - Beaumont Pit (HER 4107 - opened in 1809), Charlotte Pit (HER 4081 - opened in April 1766) and Edward Pit (probably HER 4068 - opened in 1809). The Colliery was owned by W. Cochrane Carr Ltd and from the 1930s, the Elswick Coal Company Ltd. Steam engine and pit shown on Plan of Andrew Bowes Estate, 1811.
Ordnance Survey, 1864
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by