Heaton Main Colliery
3 Sept 2021
22 Aug 2022
James Potts (1820s), Dalton & Co. (1850s)
Description (or HER record listing)
Heaton High Pit. The 2nd edition OS mapping shows the pit covered by trees, so probably out of use by 1895. The tree-planted mound (known as The Spinney) is believed to have been planted to commemorate those killed in the Heaton Colliery disaster of 3rd May 1815. A plaque was later set up by the National Union of Mine-Workers Northumberland area in November 1966. However, tree planting was common on disused mine sites and it is argued that this site has no significance to the disaster at all. (See HER 4149 for more information about the disaster).
NEHL - Part of the Heaton Main Colliery pits, they were known as some of the most advanced coal workings in the world thanks to their innovative pumping engines. There were two notable disasters at this pit - a fire in 1910 and a collapse of the colliery floors in 1813.
Ordnance Survey, 1864
Aerial shot of Heaton Main Colliery, 2022. 'The Spinney' is a mound over the pit, which is the area covered by trees.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by