top of page
full size.png

4011

Fawdon Colliery

Fawdon, Newcastle

55.014333,-1.646089

Old Pit

Engine Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

30 Dec 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Newmarch, Sons & Co. (1840s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Fawdon Old Pit shown on the 1st edition OS mapping, despite the name. The colliery and Engine Pit opened in 1810. There were several pits - A Pit, B Pit (opened in 1813), E Pit (opened in 1823) and F Pit (opened in 1836 for draining water). Fawdon Colliery was owned by Newmarch Sons & Co. On 5 September 1827, an explosion killed 2 miners and injured 3.

Ordnance Survey, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

The old pit can be seen on this aerial shot from 1946. The shaft is also visible. Source: Historic England Photograph_ raf_106g_uk_1193_rp_3190 flown 27_02_1946

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

The site of the shaft - it can be seen in the discolouration of the ground.

The site of the shaft - it can be seen in the discolouration of the ground.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page