B Pit (South)
3 Sept 2021
Newmarch, Sons & Co. (1840s)
Fawdon B Pit (Coal), the southern of the two pits with this name. It is just shown as an Old Shaft on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so probably out of use by 1895. The colliery opened in 1810. There were several pits - A Pit, Engine Pit (HER 4011), E Pit (opened in 1823) and F Pit (opened in 1836 for draining water). Fawdon Colliery was owned by Newmarch Sons & Co. On 5 September 1827, an explosion killed 2 miners and injured 3.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us