6 Sept 2021
J. Lamb, Potters, Jobling's Trustees (1850s), R. O. Lamb (1860s), Terale & Kirton (1880s), Kirton, Rowell & Dodd (1880s), Walbottle Coal & Firebrick Co. (1890s), Lemington Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Walbottle Colliery, Coronation Pit. The 2nd edition OS mapping shows an expansion of this site. Opened in 1820 and called Coronation Pit to mark the coronation of George IV. A village grew up around the pit. Walbottle Colliery (HER 4229) opened before 1828. Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900 by the Throckley Coal Company, the owners of pits at Heddon, Throckley and Newburn.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.