top of page
full size.png

3958

Maria Pit, Throckley

Throckley, Newcastle

54.999858,-1.756194

Opened:

Closed:

1908

1953

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

26 Feb 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Throckley Coal Co., National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Maria Pit. Owned by the Throckley Coal Company, who also owned Throckley Colliery (HER 4224). Closed in 1953.

NEHL - Maria Pit was opened on a reopened shaft in 1909, adjacent to the Thorney Fire Brick Works and Meadow Pit around 100m west. The Maria Pit was directly owned by the Throckley Coal Co., utilising the single track railway down Throckley to the Tyne and Lemington. The pit was modest, with only around 5 ancillary surface buildings and a small pit heap.

Maria Pit after use, with engine shed and shaft top visible, 1966. Source: NZ156672, Beamish Museum Collections

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Marie Pit in 1947. Source:  Historic England Photograph:  raf_cpe_uk_2352_fp_1126 flown  04/10/1947

Marie Pit in 1947. Source: Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_fp_1126 flown 04/10/1947

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page