top of page
full size.png

3930

Walbottle Colliery

Walbottle, Newcastle

54.990263,-1.738114

Duke Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

6 Sept 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

J. Lamb, Potters, Jobling's Trustees (1850s), R. O. Lamb (1860s), Terale & Kirton (1880s), Kirton, Rowell & Dodd (1880s), Walbottle Coal & Firebrick Co. (1890s), Lemington Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Walbottle Colliery, Duke Pit. Could be as early as 1740. This is not shown on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so was out of use by 1895. Walbottle Colliery (HER 4229) opened before 1828. Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900 by the Throckley Coal Company, the owners of pits at Heddon, Throckley and Newburn.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page