Mount Moor Colliery
Spring Vale Colliery
16 Sept 2021
John Bowes & Co. (1850s), Marley Hill Coal Co. (1860s -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Mount Moor Colliery, Vale Pit. Opened before 1826, closed May 1931. In the 1850s the colliery was owned by John Bowes & Co, and later by the Marley Hill Coal Co. Mount Moor Colliery was probably operating by the early 18th century, since references in Washingron Parish registers show that as early as 1729 The Mount was inhabited by pitmen. Some of these workings had been abandoned by 1782, but the colliery is known to have been working in the mid-19th century, notably at Vale Pit.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Mount Moor Colliery, date unknown. Source: Raggyspelk
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.