top of page
full size.png

3887

Stormont Main Colliery

Wrekenton, Gateshead

54.926241,-1.571100

King Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

J. Grace & Partners (1840s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Stormont Main Colliery, King Pit. Owned by J. Grace and Partners. An explosion on 5 April 1843 killed 27 miners.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page