7 Sept 2021
Marley Hill Coal Co. (1860s), John Bowes & Partners Ltd. (1880s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
A coal pit with a gin is shown on Ordnance Survey first edition. By 1860, Byermoor Colliery had opened on this site. It closed on 2 February 1968. It was opened by the Marley Hill Coal Company and subsequently owned by John Bowes & Partners Ltd and from 1947 the National Coal Board. The colliery worked the Busty and Brockwell seams, producing 500 tons of coal a day in 1894. There were 156 coke ovens adjacent to the colliery.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Byermoor Colliery, date unknown. Source: Bowes Railway, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.