full size.png

3560

Blaydon Burn Colliery

Blaydon Burn, Gateshead

54.956872,-1.734903

Belsay Pit

Betsy Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

6 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Joseph Cowen (1850s), Joseph Cowen & Co. (1860s), Priestman Collieries Ltd. (1900s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Betsy Pit (Coal), also known as Belsay Pit became part of Blaydon Burn Colliery, eventually closing in the 1950s. This small pit belonged to Joseph Cowen who owned the brickworks (HER ref. 1646 and 3434) in 1896. On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan this is marked as the Belsay Pit. At that time there was no range of buildings, but two structures on either side of the mouth of the mine had been constructed by 1896. This formed part of what became known as Blaydon Burn Colliery.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Blaydon Burn Colliery Locomotive, 1896. Source: Newcastle Libraries

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0