Eighton Moor, Ravensworth Ann
3 Sept 2021
23 Feb 2023
W. W. Burdon (1860s), A. E. Burdon (1880s), Charles Perkins & Partners (1900s), Birtley Iron Co. (1910s), Pelaw Main Collieries Ltd. (1940s), National Coal Board (1947)
Description (or HER record listing)
Said to have been sunk in 1824, in 1844 the Team Colliery (in 1898 the Betty Pit) was held under lease from Lord Ravensworth by William Wharton Burdon Esq., of Hartford House, Co. Durham, whose ancestors had had it since 1796. In 1843, as Eighton Moor Colliery, it was shown on a wagonway which went north-west past Farnacres Colliery to the river Team, and north north-east past Sheriff Hill Colliery to join the Ouston and Pelaw wagonway. Subsidiary pits include Street Pit (NZ 2705 5748), joined to the Team Colliery by a wagonway; and also Meadow Pit (NZ 2616 5820), Flat Pit (NZ 2685 5762), Corn Pit (north of Team Colliery), all disused by 1897, and Nelly Pit (south-west of Low Eighton), Chance Pit (very close to Nanny Pit), and Nanny Pit (NZ 2580 5823), disused by 1967. There were others, some on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition plan (c.1860), including Bank, Betty, Centre, Corner, Dene, Emidy, George, Green, Hall, Hill, Landsale, Lane, Letch, North, Quarry, Rush, Spring, and Wood. Team Colliery closed in 1941, and the site was subsequenty reclaimed.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Illustration of Street Pit (later Betty Pit) by Thomas Hair, hosted by Newcastle University
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by