top of page
full size.png

3538

Tyne Main Colliery

Gateshead

54.962356,-1.572941

Friars Goose Colliery

William Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Liddell Partnership (1840s), Losh & Co. (1850s), George Elliott & Co. (1860s -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Tyne Main Colliery, also called Friar's Goose Colliery had not been extensively worked until the 1740s when the Liddell partnership installed two Newcomen engines (see HER ref. 1012) at Friar's Goose on the riverside, which overcame the minewater problems in this area. One of the busiest wagonways was that of Friar's Goose Colliery which was made possible by the effort to drain Gateshead Park and, in 1746, was about a quarter of a mile in length. Towards the end of 19th century the colliery closed. Although it briefly re-activated a number of times, Tyne Main Colliery had finally closed by 1895.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page