full size.png

3529

Shipcote Colliery

Gateshead

54.959132,-1.596098

North Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Owners: 

John Bowes & Co. (1850s), Marley Hill Coal Co. (1860s), John Bowes & Partners Ltd. (1880s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Shipcote Colliery. Opened c1856, closed 1880s. Associated with North Pit. Owned by John Bowes and Co in the 1850s, then by Marley Hill Coal Company, then John Bowes and Partners Ltd

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0