top of page
full size.png

3374

Garesfield Colliery

High Spen, Gateshead

54.933404,-1.765283

Number 4 Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Marquis of Bute (1860s), Consett Iron Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947-)

Description (or HER record listing)

Garesfield Colliery, Number 4 Pit was probably working by 1801 and formed the western terminus of the Garesfield Wagonway until 1850. Opened by the Marquis of Bute, later Consett Iron Company Ltd, and from 1947 the National Coal Board.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page