full size.png

3372

Garesfield Colliery

High Spen, Gateshead

54.933051,-1.784073

Bute Pit

A Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Marquis of Bute (1860s), Consett Iron Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947-)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Garesfield Colliery, A Pit, was served by Garesfield Wagonway, (HER 1591). Garesfield Colliery opened in 1800, A Pit in 1837 and closed 29 January 1960. Opened by the Marquis of Bute, later Consett Iron Company Ltd, and from 1947 the National Coal Board.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Bute Pit, date unknown. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0