North Hetton Colliery
5 Sept 2021
North Hetton Co. (1850s), North Hetton Coal Co. (1860s), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
North Hetton Colliery. The colliery was served by the Rainton and Seaham Railway North Hetton Branch, (HER 2305). Opened 1821, closed 1935. Owned by the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Wood, Philipson, Burrell etc) in the 1850s and later by the Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd. Whellan reports in 1894 that daily output of coal was 360 tons. There were 320 workers and an associated firebrick works which made 60,000 bricks per week and a gas retort works. In Moorsley village, the colliery company built a Mission Chapel (of St Cuthbert's Church, East Rainton), a Wesleyan methodist chapel and a Primitive methodist chapel. A school was built in 1871 for 360 children.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.