top of page
full size.png

3126

Newbottle Colliery

Philadelphia

54.860862,-1.485616

Margaret Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1956

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

15 Aug 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Nesham Family (1700s - 1819), Earl of Durham (1819 - 1896), Lambton Collieries Ltd. (1896 - 1910s), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd (1940s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Margaret Pit was connected to the Lambton Railway by a wagonway, (SMR 3131).

Newbottle Colliery was opened in 1816 and closed in 1956. There were several other pits - Dolly Pit (sunk in 1811), Dorothea Pit (HER 3123), Elizabeth Pitt (HER 3136) and Success Pit (HER 3127).

The colliery was opened by the Nesham family, then taken over in 1819 by the Earl of Durham, and in 1896 by Lambton Colleries Ltd, then Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Colleries Ltd and from 1947 by the National Coal Board. The colleries were linked by 18 miles of private railways.

There were several disasters - an explosion on 2 June 1815 killed 57, a boiler burst on 7 August 1815, killing 11. There were explosions on 19 October 1821 (killed 6 miners), 19 November 1824 (killed 11) and 15 June 1832 (killed 12).

NEHL - The colliery stood just north of a triangular junction at Philadelphia. It was a fairly large coomplex, with at least 2 reservoirs for the pumped water and at least half a dozen ancillary builldings on the surface.

It was the mother colliery of Success Pit, which stood just west with its own pit village. Two associated rows stood at Margaret on Cross Row. Though the colliery line is still traversable, the pit is now partly taken up by housing.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page