top of page
full size.png

3107

Penshaw Colliery

Penshaw, Sunderland

54.866879,-1.498841

E Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Lady F. A. Vane Londonderry (1850s), George Elliot & Co. (1860s), Sir George Elliot (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Depicted on the 1815 Vane Tempest estate map and on Bell's Coalfield map (1843). It was connected by a waggonway branch line, partly shared with Mill Pit running NW to link with the Tempest/Londonderry line. Probably redundant by 1862.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page