7 Sept 2021
Edward Smith (1730s), W. Peareth, Esp. (1780s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Opened before 1756. There were four other pits - Dolly Pit, Hedge Pit (NZ 305 533), Scrog Pit and Stable End Pit (HER 3040). Owners were Edward Smith and later W. Peareth Esq. On 17 November 1771 a great flood on the River Wear flooded colleries at Chartershaugh, North Biddick and Low Lambton. Over 30 horses drowned and several wagons and horses were swept away. The colliery fire engines were destroyed. On 8 December 1778, 24 miners were killed in an explosion.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.