full size.png

2612

Washington Colliery

Washington

54.909104,-1.541298

C Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Owners: 

W. Russell (1780s), Washington Coal Co. (1850s), William Stobart (1880s), Washington Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

C Pit (Air Shaft), with a windlass is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan, but it is not clear to which mine this shaft belonged. It was probably Washington.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0