3 Sept 2021
31 Oct 2023
Mr Wade (1792), Messrs. Easton & Co. (1850s), Messrs. Easton, Anderson & Partners (1857-1860), Tyne Coal Co. (1880s), Wallsend & Hebburn Coal Co. Ltd (1890s)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Hebburn's B Pit was opened in the 18th century and had closed by the 1890s. It was situated on what is now Black Road (then Black Lane), with residential housing now occupying the site of the old pit row, shaft house and other ancillary buildings. The pit had its own pit pond for the drained mine water.
The B Pit was connected to a small waggonway to the river. It led between St Oswald's and Railway Street, under the Newcastle to South Shields railway and over Blackett Street to Wagonway Road. This led to the A Pit which in turn had staiths on the river.
The B Pit may have still been operating in 1891. A piece in the Jarrow Express of 11/09/1891 notes wilful damage by a group of boys on the fence around the B Pit fence around the ponds. The Tyne Coal Co. wanted it stopped as it "muddled and injured the boilers".
It appears the shaft may have been reopened as a pumping shaft for the other Hebburn Collieries. Reference is made in a Chronicle piece from 1908, noting the death of a 37 year old man who lost his life falling down the "pumping shaft". Sadly the boy died as the shaft was full of water 90ft deep.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Site of the B Pit in 2023
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The shaft is still extant on this 1940s aerial photograph. Source: Historic England Photograph: raf_3g_tud_uk_125_v_5128 flown 04/04/1946
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by