top of page
full size.png

2179

Willington Colliery

Forest Hall

55.015130,-1.562833

Richard Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1810

Unknown

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

20 Jul 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Messrs Bell and Co.

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Little is known about this colliery opened in 1810, which stood between the Blyth & Tyne Railway and the Newcastle and Berwick Railway. It was opened by Messrs Bell & Co and was part of the Willington Colliery portfolio.

The pit appears to have still been operating into the 1890s, just north west of Benton West Quarry. 2 small buildings are shown which presumably had the shaft inside. It continued to be in situ for many decades after and was extant in the 1930s as per Ordnance Survey maps. By the 1940s a long rectangular structure is still in situ, though the pit had undoubtedly closed long before.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

The site of Richard Pit in 1946. The small rectangular building in the triangle was part of Richard Pit. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1193_rs_4181 flown 27/02/1946

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page