Shiremoor, North Tyneside
4 Sept 2021
Humble, Lamb & Co (1830s), Backworth Colliery Co. (1840s), Waldie & Co. (1850s), Maud, Taylor & Co. (1860s), J. C. Lamb & Co (1880s), Backworth Collieries Ltd. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Shown on the 2nd edition OS mapping with an Aqueduct and two reservoirs. This was opened in c 1820. This had originally been a pumping shaft belonging to the Shiremoor Coal Company. The beam engine was erected in 1875. When the Backworth Company took over ownership in 1896 they deepened the shaft and converted it to coal working by building a horizontal steam winder. In 1927 mechanical mining began at the Maude, Eccles and Algernon pits, displacing pit ponies. Taken over by the National Coal Board in 1947, and closed in 1966.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Billy Embleton, Flickr
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us