8 Sept 2021
Pits shown on a Plan of Low Heaton c1740. The pits named are Thomas, Margaret and Engine with another (possibly Matthew) just to the north. Grid ref is approximate. Closed by 1815. Matthew used to try and rescue the trapped miners of the Heaton Main Colliery disaster May 1815.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us