14 Sept 2021
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Opened 1900, closed 13 July 1979. Sinking started in 1897. There were three pits - East Pit, South Pit and West Pit. The owners were Wearmouth Coal Company LTD until the National Coal Board took over in 1947.
Ordnance Survey 1898
Hylton Colliery, date unknown. Source: Searlecanada.org
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.