Laidler's Pit, Penshaw
3 Sept 2021
8 Sept 2021
Description (or HER record listing)
Coal pit (two shafts) shown in Keelman's Field, Penshaw on the 1775 Tempest estate map as two adjacent bell pit shafts. Formed part of Pensher Colliery. Laidler's Pit labelled on Bell's Coalfield Map 1843 but not on the 1st edition OS. May have actually been out of use by 1820 superseded by the D (HER 3099) and E pits (HER 3107) at White Field and Wharton Row (later Shiney Row).
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by