Pape Hills Colliery
3 Sept 2021
5 Sept 2021
Nicholas Fenwick, Henry Melbourne, John Emmerson, Robert Hutchinson
Description (or HER record listing)
Nicholas Fenwick, Henry Melbourne and John Emmerson were granted liberty to work coal reserves 'as well opened as not opened' at 'Pape hills St Wllinors Close and the Banks' in 1695. The following year the same gentlemen granted the same - and specifically the three-quarter and Bensham seams - in 'St Ellins Close and Pape Hills' to Robert Hutchinson of Gateshead. Only one old shaft, probably the Pape-hills colliery is indicated on plans to the west of Rabbit Banks and close to the Redheugh estate. During construction of the Metro line across Greenesfield c.1985 galleries from early mining were found.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by