Benton Square, coal shaft
23 Oct 2023
23 Oct 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - A coal shaft is illustrated in this location on the "Plan of Killingworth Moor in the Parish of Longbenton" by John Fryer, 1792. It is one of around a dozen dotted around the Willington and Benton Square waggonways on land owned by the Earl of Carlisle.
This shaft was the terminus of one of the many branches of the waggonway between Benton Square and Wallsend, leading through Battle Hill. It was located on a stone bridle road to Ralph William Grey's Backworth estate, and this shaft in particular was located on land owned by Nathanial Punshon. Punshon was a member of the Merchant Adventurers Guild.
The shaft had been sealed and disappeared by the 1850s.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by