top of page
full size.png

15457a

Benton Square, coal shaft

Benton

55.024296, -1.531741

Opened:

Closed:

18th c

Unknown

Entry Created:

23 Oct 2023

Last Updated:

23 Oct 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Earl of Carlisle

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft is illustrated in this location on the "Plan of Killingworth Moor in the Parish of Longbenton" by John Fryer, 1792. It is one of around a dozen dotted around the Willington and Benton Square waggonways on land owned by the Earl of Carlisle.

This shaft is located in the north east corner of the Benton Square plot owned by the Earl of Carlisle in the 1790s. It was located on the waggonway which led from Benton Square down to Battle Hill and the Tyne, though was demolished and lifted by the 1850s. It was likely one of the many shafts connected to the same workings in the area.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page