full size.png

14894

Thorald Pit, Harraton

Harraton, Washington

54.884105,-1.545210

Redeveloped

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Grand Allies Partnership

HER Info

Shown on Oliver 1851. Next to waggonway HER 14892. In 1730 John Thorald (later 8th baronet Sir John Thorald) married Elizabeth Ayton of West Herrington. The Thorald family were from Marston (later Syston), Lincolnshire. Harraton Outside Colliery is mentioned in minutes dated 1727-1730 of the Grand Allies Partnership. Two letters dated 1764 and 1770 to Sir John Thorald also mention the colliery at 'Harroten Outside'. A lease dated to the 1770s made between Sir John Thorald of Syston Park and Ralph Milbanke of Halnaby discusses mines and quarries and the right to built houses for colliers and quarrymen. Sir John Thorold was tenant in common with Ralph Milbank and Sir Francis Blake Bart (who married Isabel Ayton before 1734). A lease of 1778 between John's widow Dame Elizabeth Thorald and Ralph Milbanke describes the right to 'dig, sink, rid, win, work and make pitts, shafts, staples, trenches, groves, and to make or drive, drifts, watergates, watercourses as well for the winning working and getting of coals from the soil'.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0