full size.png


Whitley Colliery

Whitley Bay, North Tyneside



Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021


HER Info

A shaft is shown within the site on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map. Coal mining was occurring in Whitley in the 1660s, because it is recorded that salt pans at Cullercoats were fired by coal from Whitley. The exact location of the Whitley mines of this period is unclear. In the 17th century the Whitley collieries were expanded and connected to the coast by wooden wagonways. The coal industry declined, however, when six salt pans were transferred to Blyth. Whitley Colliery was re-opened in 1810 and worked in conjunction with a quarry at Marden, where coal was used in the lime kilns. Whitley Bay expanded as a settlement for local colliers and workers.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us


Historic Maps provided by


Version 1.0