Wallsend, North Tyneside
3 Sept 2021
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
The 1st edition OS mapping shows boilers and a reservoir within the site. Willington Colliery was opened in 1806 by Messrs Bell & Co. The colliery contributed to the running costs of the Friar's Goose Engine in Gateshead which pumped water out of the workings on either side of the Tyne (see HER 1012).
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.