Willington Old Engine Pit
3 Sept 2021
21 Nov 2023
Messrs Bells & Brown
Description (or HER record listing)
An Old Engine Pit, presumably a Coal Mine, is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, but it is not clear whether it was working at that time (c.1858). This may have been the Engine Pit opened in 1775 "at Willington" by Messrs Bells and Brown.
NEHL - The pit ceased operations by the 1850s, as it was labelled as "old" on the 1850s Ordnance Survey Maps. It probably provided alternative access or ventilation to the wider Willington Colliery workings, alongside the shaft a few metres south closer to the Willington Square settlement.
Ordnance Survey, 1850s
The site of the Old Engine Pit in 2023. There is no longer any trace.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by