3 Sept 2021
21 Nov 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
Edward Pit was served by Willington Wagonway (HER 1164). Opened 1810 by Messrs Bell & Co. Edward Pit was the upcast shaft for Willington Colliery. The colliery closed in 1889 but reopened in 1913 for another 18 years. Edward Shaft was refurbished and carried on after 1913 as a ventilation shaft for Wallsend Colliery.
NEHL - The Edward Pit is shown on the 1890s maps as disused, bordering a number of other shafts in the Willington Square area. There is no trace of the pit nowadays, with the Jolly Bowman pub standing in its place.
This pit may also be one of the termini for the Stephenson's Rocket trials before Rainhill, as he was known to have tested it on the waggonways from Killingworth. The other plausible route is to Wallsend.
Ordnance Survey, 1865
'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' by T.H.Hair published in 1844
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The site of Edward Pit in 2023
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by