Bigges Main Colliery
Wallsend, North Tyneside
6 Sept 2021
Bigges Main Colliery, C Pit, was served by Bigges Main Wagonway (HER ref. 1128). Around 1782 three pits were sunk around the site and the village of Bigges Main developed, taking its name from that of the pit. "A" Pit was situated at NZ 288 670, "B" Pit at NZ 286 668 and "C" Pit further north at NZ 285 677 (HER ref. 1127). Due to flooding the Bigges Main pits ceased working in 1857. The "C" pit site was partly filled in with refuse and then bulldozed over into a hillock and seeded.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us