top of page
full size.png

1116c

Scaffold Hill, coal shaft

Benton

55.023718, -1.526412

Opened:

Closed:

18th c

Entry Created:

23 Oct 2023

Last Updated:

23 Oct 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft is illustrated in this location on the "Plan of Killingworth Moor in the Parish of Longbenton" by John Fryer, 1792. It is one of around a dozen dotted around the Willington and Benton Square waggonways on land owned by the Earl of Carlisle.

It was located around 100m north of Scafford Hill Quarry and the same distance east of the Great Lime Road. It featured a small rectangular building on its immediate left, and was the most central shaft in a circular pattern of half a dozen in the field owned by the Earl of Carlisle.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page