top of page
full size.png

1115

Backworth Colliery

Benton Square, North Tyneside

55.02280,-1.54015

Prosperous Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Humble, Lamb & Co (1830s), Backworth Colliery Co. (1840s), Waldie & Co. (1850s), Maud, Taylor & Co. (1860s), J. C. Lamb & Co (1880s), Backworth Collieries Ltd. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Coal shaft, west of Benton Square. Marked "Old" on 1st edn OS mapping so probably dates to before 1858. Durham Mining Museum Website say that Prosperous Pit proper opened in 1906 and closed December 1960. There is a piece of winding gear still on the site [2004] - removed from its tower.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page