Earsdon, North Tyneside
Duke and Duchess Pit
3 Sept 2021
The Duke and Duchess Pits at Earsdon Colliery, 'won' in 1823 and 1826 respectively, were served by the Backworth Wagonway (East Holywell Branch) (HER ref. 1051). They were owned by Hugh Taylor and William Clark, while the miners occupied the farm cottages owned by a Mr Grey. These buildings later formed the community of Shiney Row, and are shown on Greenwood's map of 1828. By 1897 the pits had disappeared, and had been replaced by the Abbey Shot Factory.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us