Killingworth, North Tyneside
Killingworth High (East) Pit
3 Sept 2021
10 Mar 2022
Description (or HER record listing)
Killingworth Colliery, to the east of Killingworth Village. Served by an old wagonway to the south (HER 1098) from 1806. Marked "Killingworth Old Pit" on second edition Ordnance Survey, so disused by 1895. Opened by John Bowes & Co. Later owned by John Thwaites, then John Bowes and Partners. An explosion on 23 March 1806 killed 10 miners, and another on 14 September 1809 killed 12.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Aerial view of High Pit, 10/03/22
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by