top of page
full size.png


Killingworth Colliery

Killingworth, North Tyneside


West Moor Pit



Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

14 Sept 2021




Description (or HER record listing)

Killingworth Colliery, West Moor Pit. 1st edn OS mapping is unclear but seems to show two shafts, a cistern, a sluice and a gin within the mine. The colliery was served by a wagonway (SMR 1083). This may have been the pit opened by the Grand Allies in 1761, it was certainly opened before 1806 and was closed by 1900. Lord Ravensworth & Partners owned it in the 1800s. Colliery disasters - explosions killed 5 on 18 january 1844, 10 on 3 April 1845 and 9 on 31 October 1851.

Ordnance Survey 1898

Ordnance Survey 1898

West Moor Pit, 1850s. Source: Newcastle Libraries

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page