Seaton Burn Colliery
Seaton Burn, North Tyneside
3 Sept 2021
18 Jul 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
Seatonburn Colliery, served by a wagonway (HER ref. 1067), opened c.1844 after several years sinking the shaft, and closed 17th August 1963.
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map shows a shaft within the colliery; the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map shows the expansion of colliery buildings and spoil heaps and the addition of two Smithys.
The initial ownership was with the Grand Allies but by 1850 had passed to John Bowes & Partners. By 1899 the owners were the Seaton Burn Coal Company. The mine became part of Hartley Mains collieries in the 1930s. Brenkley Drift was the last producing element of this long worked site and was latterly the smallest National Coal Board pit in Northumberland.
The site of Seaton Burn Colliery is now a business park some later workshops being the only surviving buildings. The 1950s pit head baths which stood on the main road (A1067) were demolished c.1990.
The incline route to Brenkley Drift still survives and the sites of the drift mouth and pumping/ventilation shaft to the west of the drift mouth are discernible.
NEHL - The North Pit was out of use by the 1890s, though an air shaft is illustrated on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by