Backworth, North Tyneside
3 Sept 2021
15 Apr 2022
Humble, Lamb & Co (1830s), Backworth Colliery Co. (1840s), Waldie & Co. (1850s), Maud, Taylor & Co. (1860s), J. C. Lamb & Co (1880s), Backworth Collieries Ltd. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map shows an expanded colliery, with spoil heaps and an internal system of wagonways. It closed before 1900. Ajacent to the Colliery, on the western side of the railway was the Hotspur Brick Works, (HER ref. 2217).
Ordnance Survey, 1898
C Pit, date unknown. Source: Suscram.weebly.com
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Backworth Colliery C Pit from the south. Seghill can be seen to the north.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by