St Mary's Chapel, 1864
St Mary's Chapel, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
St Mary's Chapel, 1898
St Mary's Chapel, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

press to zoom
St Mary's Chapel, 1921
St Mary's Chapel, 1921

Ordnance Survey, 1921

press to zoom
St Mary's Chapel, 1864
St Mary's Chapel, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
1/3
St Mary's Chapel, 1978

Name: Chapel of St. Mary

Region: Jesmond, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Date of Origin: 12th Century

Site Type: Religious Place of Worship

Condition: Ruined

Status: Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II* Listed

Last Updated: 18/05/2020

Website: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1325172

Address: 61 Reid Park Rd, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2ER

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/145

"The chapel, which fell within the parochial chapelry of St. Andrew, Newcastle, is first mentioned in 1272 and was a place of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages. It was dissolved in 1548 and dismantled before 1562, but up to the end of the 18th century a part of the ruins was still known as the Hospital, through having been the hospice of the pilgrims. It had various owners until Lord Armstrong gave it to the City in 1883. The ruin consists of a fragment of the east end of the nave, an incomplete 12th century chancel arch (the earliest part of the ruins), substantial remains of the chancel, and a building of uncertain use on the north side of the chancel." - Twsitelines

CHAPEL OF ST MARY

JESMOND