Stotes Hall, 1864
Stotes Hall, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
Stotes Hall, 1899
Stotes Hall, 1899

Ordnance Survey, 1899

press to zoom
Stotes Hall, 1946
Stotes Hall, 1946

Ordnance Survey, 1946

press to zoom
Stotes Hall, 1864
Stotes Hall, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
1/4
Stote's Hall, 1910

Name: Stote's Hall

Region: Jesmond, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Date of Origin: 1607

Site Type: Domestic House

Condition: Demolished

Status: The area of land the building once occupied is now just a piece of grassland at the end of Hartside Gardens on Jesmond Dene Rd. There are no remains.

Last Updated: 19/05/2020

Address: 54.990148, -1.594712, at the patch of green at the end of Hartside Gardens on Jesmond Dene Rd.

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1407

"The hall was situated on the east side of Jesmond Dene Road, just above the Dene. It was named after Sir Richard Stote who, in 1658, bought the Gibson lands, the remnants of Sir Bertram Monboucher's sixth part of Jesmond manor (1370). The Northumberland County History described a T-shaped 2-3 storey house with details at least as early as the 17th century, including a stone shield of arms dated 1607. It was visited by the Society of Antiquaries in 1943, but probably demolished in the 1950s." - twsitelines

"Stotes Hall, regretfully demolished some years ago, dated back to the 17th Century and was originally a stone-built house, one of the many erected for the yoemen of the North of England during the reigns of the late Tudors and early Stuarts. In 1607 it was rebuilt and again, in the 19th Century, it was modernised and later altered until it stood three storeys high. The house, prior to demolition, showed both Tudor and Jacobean influences. The house in the 16th Century stood on what were called the Gibson lands, and in 1658 Sir Richard Stote bought the land from Sir Francis Anderson; from that time the house became known as Stote Hall. The old house was reputed to have been a resting place for Oliver Cromwell on one of his visits to the area, but it is best known for having housed a school opened in 1760 by Dr Charles Hutton, a great mathematician." JesmondDene.org.uk

"Demolished after serious damage in WWII, it stood on the land now bare between the sharp bend in Jesmond Dene Road and the bank of the Dene itself, opposite its junction with Collingwood Terrace.​" Jesmond.uk.net

Stote's Hall, 1910

STOTES HALL,

JESMOND