top of page


Tennis, Bowls

Tynemouth Park

55.024950, -1.429303







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

4 Apr 2024

Tynemouth Bowling Club

HER Description

NEHL - Tynemouth Park, alongside its boating lake, was opened in the first half of 1893 on lands owned by the Duke of Northumberland. Originally named the Tynemouth Recreation Ground It was first publicly mooted in the middle of 1892 as per a piece in the Shields Daily News of 18/05/92, to some opposition. The piece written by "A Workman" states there was no use for the park, calling it useless and for a privileged few. Worked pushed ahead however, and opened with a large pond, bowling greens, tennis courts with a large bandstand and lodge/cottage on the southeastern edge.

The Tynemouth Bowling Club was formed a year after, and from the outset gathered 70 members. The lake was also popular from the outset with model boaters, with an exhibiton held in its opening year of miniature yachts. Events were previously held in the Palace and Winter Garden's aquarium, so natural synergy led to a home at this site alongside a boat house.

The park still remains with its two bowling greens and boating lake. Other areas have been repurposed for commercial activity.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Tynemouth Park can be seen in this 1947 aerial shot. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_rp_3162 flown 04/10/1947 (4 October 1947)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

© Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW022863 flown 29/04/1949 (29 April 1949)

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page