top of page
og1.png

towl05

Tennis

Ironworks Road, Tennis Court

54.743452, -1.821692

Tow Law

Opened:

c1920s

Closed:

c1930s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

19 Apr 2024

HER Description

NEHL - One of many tennis courts in Tow Law was situated was situated at the bottom of Ironworks Road, adjacent to the old ironworks site, between the 1920s and the late 1930s as per aerial imagery.

The court featured a small shed on its north east corner, as well as a seperate enclosure on its north side which may have catered a separate court or bowling green. The 1940s aerial imagery shows no indication of a sports ground at this site, so was likely levelled during the war.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page