top of page
og1.png

tan01

Football

Tanfield Lea, Football Ground

54.884146, -1.704756

Tanfield Lea

Opened:

c1890s

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Dec 2023

Tanfield Lea FC

HER Description

NEHL - This piece of ground was likely used by Tanfield Lea FC from the 1890s, and continued to be used for the sport past the 1960s. The first record of the club is in 1884 following their AGM, so there is every chance they may be slightly older.

The first recorded matches took place in 1885. The club played regional sides such as Morpeth Harriers, Beamish and District and West Stanley. The club met at the Pack Horse Inn in Tanfield, noted as its headquarters, and its president was a Mr T W Asquith. The local reverand T H Archdall was also vice president. The club did not have a permanent field before 1891, given their AGM noted they had "secured a good field", which was likely this one. The link with the clergy provides further credence to this ground being their home, given the colliery Methodist chapel was located here. They were often used as changing facilities for clubs and may have been provided permission.

The club were certainly still around in the 1920s, but references dissipate after this. Tanfield Lea Institute FC appear to become the predominant club in the village after this time.

The ground is first referenced as a football field in the mid 20th century.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page